Council Member Mathieu Eugene is an Advocate for Immigrants
- As an immigrant himself, Mathieu Eugene believes that all people, no matter where they come from ought to be able to participate in the American dream. We are blessed that our district is home to many immigrants from a variety of nations and ethnic background.
- Council Member Mathieu Eugene’s office has been proud to offer legal assistance with a range of immigration issues including family petitions, DACA/DAPA, TPS, citizenship, and permanent residence.
- He has hosted a series of immigration forums to get vital information out into the community. In addition to sponsoring regular legal aid clinics.
- As New York City’s first Haitian-American elected official, Council Member Mathieu Eugene has been a staunch advocate for the extension of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haiti and other countries such as Nepal have suffered natural disasters or political instability. Haiti was assigned TPS in the wake of the devastating earthquake in 2010. Though TPS has been extended through January 2017, conditions in Haiti remain dire, and he will continue to advocate for TPS to be extended until conditions improve to the point that Haitians can return home safely.
- Council Member Mathieu Eugene has launched a petition at www.HaitiTPSRenewal.com to demand the extension of Temporary Protected Status for Haiti by the Department of Homeland Security. For more information, follow Council Member Mathieu Eugene at Facebook.com/CMMathieuEugene and on Twitter/Instagram @CMMathieuEugene
NY City Council DRMember Mathiew Eugene holds a press conference to raise the voice to provide Temporary Protected Status to Nepali immigrants.